2012-2013 RecapSome folks have already been up to the hills this year, not me, not yet. Early in the season we spend most weekends with gymnastic meets and prepping for the holiday season. I'll always try to get out for a few days before the new year; however, I've always thought that the ski season in Colorado is best thought of as lasting from Jan. 1st through June 1st. 2012/2013 was a good year, with an epic trip to Jackson Hole and a 18" powder day there, a spring skiing trip with the family thwarted by Grady getting pneumonia but still having fun up in Breck, and an epic day on North Maroon capping it all off.
2013-2014 PlansWith that being said it's time for the annual laying out of the plans for 2013/2014, these days talking about skiing must be fun because it's about a 10-1 ratio to actual skiing.
- Getting season passes and season rentals for Bella and Grady to Loveland, with a great deal at Sports Authority.
- Becky and I will get a few 4 packs and we'll do most if not all of our family skiing at Loveland.
- Phoebe will continue her quest to learn how to ski. Still not going to plan any large family ski trips until she gets to the point where she can ski green\blues top to bottom with no problems, still too much work with her. She'll get there, hopefully this year. We are hoping to get about 6-8 days in at Loveland this year.
- In the backcountry hoping to get out for a few days at Berthoud Pass with Mike, always a good time, but less and less opportunities as the years roll by.
- A winter camping\ski trip could be fun, either in the backcountry or something like we did at Jackson last year, a weekend away with the boys just skiing at a resort.
- For the spring ski season, continuing on the 14er theme some trips on the short list are the Blanca group, the Eolus group, and Mount Sneffles. Also, Mount Cameron is on the list now, as a nice trip close by to attempt one of the unofficial peaks.
- For some of the non-14ers, I'd like to try Mount Flora, Apache, or Navajo in the Indian Peaks. Around summit\clear creek county, Peak 1, snikatau, or citadel are some noble peaks that I've yet to explore.
Here's to a great and safe 2013/2014 ski season!